Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Trip up North

Last week we took a trip up north to Provo/ Salt Lake area. There was supposed to be a family reunion for my mom's extended family and we needed to get some Dr and dentist appointments in. On the way there on Wednesday we went through Moab and were stuck for an hour and a half in construction outside of Moab- it was insane. We left quite early, so I was only 15 minutes late for my Dr's appointment and they let me in- thank goodness.
All of our other Dr's appointments were on Thursday morning. We went to the dentist at 8 with appointments for Spencer, Devon and I. Spencer chipped his tooth the first day we got here two years ago. It recently started to abscess. Instead of paying twice as much for a surgery that only had a 50% chance of working we opted for the tooth to be pulled. It was emotionally draining, Spencer screamed "You are hurting me!" but the tooth came out easily and we were all glad Elizabeth came to help with James and Spencer in between times. Besides being a little hungry from eating only ice cream and smoothies all day, Spencer was pretty unaffected. We dashed to James 9:30 well child check up. He is mostly healthy, just a little low iron. He weighs an even 20 pounds and is 29 inches.
Next was my eye appointment. I knew it was a bad sign when the lobby was full when I got there. At 11:15 these people said they had a 10 o'clock appointment and had not even gotten in yet. It turned out they had a new doctor- who I volunteered to see since we were supposed to meet people at the Aquarium. It worked out fine- just a little stressful.
Done with Dr's appointments, on to fun! We went to the Living Planet Aquarium near Salt Lake. Before the trip I asked Spencer what he wanted to do, and then tried to persuade him to a different option (swimming, aviary etc.) but he was set on the aquarium. We met Anna and her boys there.





We also me our friends from MV who have been living in Salt Lake for the summer. It was fun to see them.

Then we went to stay with my sister in Salt Lake. Spencer had so much fun playing with his cousins- and James really enjoyed the extra attention, especially from his cousin Anna, Spencer could not stay away from Jase. We had fun playing in the water at their house on Friday.



Friday night was the family reunion which turned out to be a dinner with just a few family members. James has a hard time with big groups- and that mixed with too much vacation and too little sleep led to him crying the whole time and us paying $40 for Olive Garden take-out. Oh well, at least we got to see people for a few minutes.
Devon went with Gabe and Anna to his new favorite movie Inception on Friday night.
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/inception/
On Saturday we went bowling at BYU. Devon's friend Greg and his wife Penny met us there. The boys really had a good time. Spencer was so excited to hit the pins- he would dance around every time.


For lunch we went to Wingers with Elizabeth, Thomas, Greg and Penny, Christian, Shelley and Barbara. It was fun for me to see Shelley and Barbara again. Thankfully there was popcorn to keep Spencer busy and James did not scream the whole time.
In the evening Gabe and Anna's ward had a BBQ and swim party at the Spanish Fork pool. The boys loved it! they really like the pool more than the water spraying at the splash part.

We drug them out after about a half hour and Gabe watched them while Devon and I went to a play at the Scera outdoor theater call "Willy Wonka." Penny, Greg's wife was in it. It was fun to see. Devon was so excited about the movie Inception that we got late tickets and saw that too. I must admit- it was really good.
On Sunday we had dinner with my Grandma in the afternoon. I hadn't seen her much since my Grandpa died in November, so it was good to see her again. she seems to be doing really well. She had a new kitten which the boys loved- although I'm not sure the kitten enjoyed the boys as much.
We left on Monday after the usual long shopping trip (thanks Anna for saving Spencer from the craziness). We went back a new way to avoid the Moab road work. We drove over the North end of Lake Powell. It was a very pretty drive.

Now we are back, and back to work. Summer is only 3 weeks longer and I cannot believe it! I wish I could stop time and enjoy summer a little longer.

No comments: